Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

YOHANI AND MANGING HER FAME.


 

I will be completing 50 years of music next year. It was a long journey and I met some fantastic personalities during this time. It was a pleasure associating with them and getting my nourishment from them. First, I was a rhythm guitarist and had only one talent. I improved that ability so that today I am what I am. I will write more of myself in the near future but the reason for me to blog this post has a very special meaning to it.

Before all, I am very happy to observe and enjoy the feet we enjoy in our music industry with Yohani De Silva’s newest song “Menike Mage Hithe” becoming a world hit. I believe it was long due but as we were all concentrating only on the local music industry, we could not reach that point until now.

During my 50 years of music, I met so many who had the talent and ability to reach this standard but due to bad management all went flip flop and the time it took to reach this level was delayed.

In the 1990’s I met a young singer who had the ability to become another H R Jothipala. He had the potential and charisma to reach that pinnacle but soon I realized that he will not go that far as he did not have a proper manager who will pull all the strings behind the stage. At one time during any given weekend, he had more than 15 performances lined up for him. People canceled their musical shows if he was unavailable. He went down faster than he came due to band handling of popularity.

I believe popularity should be handled by separate individuals as management is is very different to performing.

Gypsies had their late father Mr. Anton Perera as their manager who was a top businessman. Super Golden Chimes had Mr. Nelu Fernando as their manager and yet again was a top businessman in Sri Lanka and still maintain that level in Sri Lanka. Jet Liners had Mr. Tony Fernando yet again as a top manager and the owner of Lewis Brown. Spit Fires had Mr. Marshie Perera. All these bands above had top-notch managers to look into all aspects of the performance of their respective bands. But none of them reached the pinnacle of international fame other than our own Yohani De Silva.

Some might want to say it is luck but I see it as an opportunity. The next five years will reveal how Yohani will handle her fame. Being a musician and a bandleader/manager/proprietor I want to believe that she will handle fame right and will continue to be the international star of our country while helping many more to reach the pinnacle. Only the future will reveal how all this will unfold in front of our eyes.

What Yohani needs to have today is a very qualified manager. Naturally, jealousies are building up against her all the time and they will come as blessings but will work against her carrier when put to work. The future will reveal all these to the music-loving Sri Lankans in the near future. But being the leader of Kings Band I wish her more success in her future endeavors.

Love you all.

Chandral.

Post a Comment

0 Comments